Turbidity Curtain Type III
These turbidity curtains are built with foam filled floats that are referred to as Freeboards, combined with skirts that typically range in height from 5 to 50 feet
Type III turbidity curtains (also commonly referred to as Type 3 and silt curtains) are intended to control sediment and run off in moving waters and moderate wind and wave conditions. These turbidity curtains are built with foam filled floats that are referred to as Freeboards, combined with skirts that typically range in height from 5 to 50 feet. These floating silt curtains impede the flow of silt or sediment that may be suspended in the water. Type III turbidity curtains are typically used in moving waters such as rivers, bays, harbors, and other waterways. Type 3 silt curtains feature the use of aluminum end connectors in combination with grommets on reinforced side seams. The connector plates are attached with toggle pins while the grommets are joined with rope, nuts and bolts or strong zip ties. 50 foot and 100 foot sections are typical, and custom orders available upon request. Neptune can construct these curtains to meet state DOT and local regulatory requirements.
Permeable Type III Turbidity Curtains: The permeable skirt is made of a geotextile fabric that allows water to flow through the curtain while still filtering any suspended silt or sediment.
Impermeable Type III Turbidity Curtains: These silt curtains are made with the same PVC fabric that is used for the floats. This fabric does not allow water to pass through, creating a barrier that fully blocks the water and any silt or sediment that may be suspended in the water.
- Constructed using 100% RF Welds
- Universal aluminum end connector plates at the top and bottom, with reinforced end seams with grommets between the two connector plates
- Flotation segments are 3 ft long for superior wave conformity and ease of handling and storage
- Flotation chambers individually sealed with RF Welds
- Custom heights available – floatation sized to support skirt height and conditions
- Skirt height can be tapered to conform to the bottom profile of the body of water
- Ballast chain for strength and stability
- Typically made with fabric color of International Orange, with other colors available via special order
Type III Recommended Conditions:
- Moving waters with some waves, wind, or tidal action
- Rivers, Bays, and other waterways
- Maximum currents: 5 feet per second (FPS)
- Water Depth 3 ft to 50 ft (curtain height should be at least one foot less than water depth)
Coastal or Marine Construction, DOT Road and Bridge Construction, Dredging, Mining, Pile Driving
STANDARD TYPE III (DOT), HEAVY DUTY TYPE III
5', 6', 7', 8', 9', 10', 11', 12', 13', 14', 15', 16', 17', 18', 19', 20', 21', 22', 23', 24', 25', 26', 27', 28', 29', 30', 31', 32', 33', 34', 35', 36', 37', 38', 39', 40', 41', 42', 43', 44', 45', 46', 47', 48', 49', 50'