Turbidity Curtain Type I
Type I turbidity curtains (also commonly referred to as Type 1 and silt curtains) are intended to control sediment and run off in calm waters. These turbidity curtains are built with foam filled floats that are referred to as Freeboards, combined with skirts that typically range in height from 3 to 20 feet. These floating silt curtains impede the flow of silt or sediment that may be suspended in the water. Type I turbidity curtains are typically used in calm waters with limited wind exposure, making it suitable for use in ponds, lakes, canals, streams, ditches, bayous, swamps and other protected waters. Type 1 silt curtains are typically the most economical, featuring lighter weight fabric without the use of aluminum end connectors. Instead, sections of curtain can be connected end to end with nuts and bolts or durable zip ties. 50 foot and 100 foot sections are in stock, and custom orders are available upon request. Neptune can construct these curtains to meet state DOT and local regulatory requirements.
All silt curtains can be fabricated with permeable or impermeable skirts, which determines whether water can pass through the skirt.
Permeable Type I Turbidity Curtains: The permeable skirt is made of a geotextile fabric that allows water to flow through the curtain while still filtering any suspended silt or sediment.
Impermeable Type I Turbidity Curtains: These silt curtains are made with the same PVC fabric that is used for the floats. This fabric does not allow water to pass through, creating a barrier that fully blocks the water and any silt or sediment that may be suspended in the water.
- Constructed using 100% RF Welds
- Reinforced end seams with grommets allow for universal connection with other Type I turbidity curtains
- Flotation segments are 3 ft long for superior wave conformity and ease of handling and storage
- Flotation chambers individually sealed with RF Welds
- Economical option designed for deployment in a wide range of applications
- Custom heights available – floatation sized to support skirt height and conditions
- Skirt height can be tapered to conform to the bottom profile of the body of water
- Ballast chain for strength and stability
- Typically made with fabric color of International Orange, with other colors available via special order
Type I Recommended Conditions:
- Still waters without waves, wind, or tidal action
- Inland lakes, ponds, construction sites
- Maximum currents: 0 feet per second (FPS)
- Water Depth 2 ft to 20 ft (curtain height should be one foot less than water depth)
Coastal or Marine Construction, Road Construction, Dredging, Mining
Standard Type I (DOT), Economy Type I
3', 4', 5', 6', 7', 8', 9', 10', 11', 12', 13', 14', 15', 16', 17', 18', 19', 20'